It's no secret that I am pretty obsessed with almond anything...
almond butter, almond milk, almond extract, oh the list goes on and on~
Was perusing through a vegan cookbook the other day
and I was shocked at how simple this almond cookie recipe was...
I present to you an amaretti almond cookie
made with arrowroot powder
and a lot of love. :)
Adapted from The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
1 1/4 cup raw unsalted almonds
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
2/3 cup arrowroot powder*
2 tsp double acting baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tsp pure almond extract
5 - 6 tbsp of water
1. Roast almonds at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes until fragrant. This step is key to get the rich aroma of almonds in your cookie.
2. Combine freshly roasted almonds, sugar, arrowroot, baking powder, sea salt in the food processor and process until finely ground. Let it cool.
3. Put the mixture in a mixing bowl and add almond extract and mix.
4. Add 1 tbsp of water and mix. Continue to add tbsp of water until the mixture looks like coarse wet sand. The mixture should not be liquid-y. The mixture should hold together in a ball but then should be able to easily crumble. Add more tbsp of water if needed or decrease as needed.
5. Roll into balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If the balls don't hold together well, then there needs to be more moisture in the batter.
6. Bake for 18 minutes at 350 degrees. Immediately transfer cookies onto a cooling rack.
7. Enjoy your vegan amaretti cookie :).
More Info: *Arrowroot Powder is a natural plant-based thickener, a healthier substitute for cornstarch. According to Amy, she ate arrowroot cookies growing up! :)
What is your favorite dessert with almonds? Anyone else baked with arrowroot before?